The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Should I answer the phone?

September 10, 2013

I slept on the upper deck of the hospital garage yesterday. I had to park between cars and not at the edges of the lot where the security cameras are. I really didn't want to park BETWEEN cars because I’m not sure if people would see me as they came and went during the night. 

I woke up this morning and started to sit up in the back seat when I realized that there were no cars (like 6 empty spaces) between me and the security camera. I froze. If I sat up, would someone on the camera see me? I laid back and dozed for another hour. I had time. It was a good sleep. Finally, I woke up and said, “Oh, well. Gotta take my chances.” I got out of the car from the passenger door and got into the driver’s seat. It’s not that I thought someone would come running out saying, “Hey, you! Did you sleep in that car? That’s not allowed!” I just don’t want security guards to be put on alert for a Honda with my color and tag number so they’re waiting for me the next time I come by - hopefully tomorrow night.

Yesterday, I paid off an account that had been sent to collections. Today I put my student loan on forbearance for 3 more months. I paid on an overdue credit card bill, and I called a doctor’s office to dispute charges on another bill. So when my phone rang and I didn’t recognize the number, I was tempted to let it go to voice mail since it might be a bill collector. However, I couldn't think of who it could be since I had just acted on so many accounts. I answered the phone.

I’m so glad I did. It was Steve a former neighbor from Baltimore where I used to live. His wife and my fiancĂ©e died within a year of each other. He and his wife are beautiful spirits. It was good to hear his voice again after maybe 4-5 years. I didn’t have his number anymore since I’m on my 3rd cell phone since the last time I talked to Steve. The last two crashed with my phone numbers in them.

I don’t know if he would have left a message, but a thing like debt could have kept me from answering his call. Debt can interrupt relationships.


No comments:

Post a Comment