The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Monday, June 2, 2014

May Checkup

May successes:

This month, we:

1. hosted a successful graduation reception for loved ones. The reception was within budget and everyone enjoyed it.
2. replenished the emergency fund after car repairs
3. forgave a debt (the tenant is behind in rent by one month, and I decided to waive the last month's rent)
4. named our dollars

Next steps:
1. make a major debt payment this month (June)
2. invest some money
3. get tax refund checks

I feel like I've been stable in the month of May. The debt snowball hasn't rolled since paying off credit cards. I had car repairs to make and started a car fund so that stalled the snowball. I really want to get the momentum up again in June before I have to start making student loan payments in July.

Here's some crazy news, though. I have a credit card that now tells me what my FICO score is each month. It's fun to see, but not crucial since I plan to live debt-free and FICO scores are to help you accumulate debt. However, in March, my score was below 620. I found out that's good because if I do a short sale, I won't have to pay back any money to the bank if my score is below 620. I don't want to cheat them, but I'm trying to control/eliminate debts and get back on track with limited income.

Yesterday, I checked my score and it was 636! That's due to now having no credit card debt. But doggone it, I didn't need my score to go up any time soon.

On the Dave Ramsey blog, Dave says, “Integrity matters - in your finances and in every other part of your life - because a moral breakdown is not a victimless crime. Dishonesty will deeply wound you and those around you.”

I don't want to lie/hide/fudge. I have to trust that situations will work out in my favor. With honest money and honest discourse, you never have to look over your shoulders wondering if you’ve been found out, wondering if you will have to answer to someone for your money.

Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase. Proverbs 13:11


No comments:

Post a Comment