The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Clothing Shopping Spree for Daddy

I was filling up my cash envelopes today. I usually do that every Thursday, but I’ve decided to start doing it the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month and see how that goes for a while.

I’ve narrowed them down to 5 – food, gas, clothes, hair, everything else (fun stuff, household supplies, toiletries, work supplies).

June 15, 2014

Filling the clothing envelope made me reminisce, and I realized I didn’t tell you about buying clothes for my dad.

In April, before I went home for spring break, I decided to buy my dad some new clothes. For a few years, he has been wearing the same few t-shirts and the same gray sweatpants daily. So, when I got to Tennessee, I went to the mall with my clothing envelope, which had accumulated $120. I bought him 3 new shirts and two pairs of sweat pants. He really liked them.

That same day I invited him to go to my alma mater’s homecoming weekend with me 3 hours away. I expected him to say no – he doesn’t get out of the house much these days. He actually looked down at his new clothes and said, “I could wear these, huh? Yeah, I think I WILL go.”

I was shocked and so was my mom and everyone else who found out he was going.

It felt good to walk in that mall with plenty of cash, and no concerns about “Well, I could use this to pay a bill…I still need gas in my car…what about food?” Nope, none of that. The money had a job to do – buy clothing and that’s what I did, guilt-free.

This morning, Daddy went out to eat for Father’s Day and someone texted me a picture – he was wearing one of the outfits I bought.


I was re-filling the clothing envelope this morning, and I have $120 again. I need new work shoes, but not during the summer, so I’ll wait. However, I would love to buy Daddy 2 more new outfits. It feels good to know that by the time I see him again, I’ll again have the money to do just that and get myself new shoes – guilt free.  

No comments:

Post a Comment