The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Thursday, August 14, 2014

How do you know who the rich people are in your life?

August 14, 2014

On the Get Rich Slowly blog today, the topic was about asking people you personally know for financial advice if they are where you want to be. Someone brought up an excellent question in the comments section – how do you know WHO is where you want to be? It’s taboo to talk about money!

While I still have a lot to learn about PF and a long way to go to get where I want to be (about 4 years according to my spreadsheets), I still think I’ve learned enough to share with others. The challenge is finding the BEST WAY to share. With immediate family I can easily bring up the topic of personal finance without sharing too much about my situation (unless I want to). With friends, I found it’s easiest to mention Dave Ramsey or Michelle Singletary and how I’m following their advice – not how I’ve arrived. Two people have been receptive to that so far.


It’s easier to talk poor than to talk like I’m doing well. I think that’s because I’m surrounding by so many other struggling people that talking like I’m doing well without offering to help others out seems insensitive. 

Also see my post on 7-27-14 along the same lines of this subject. 

No comments:

Post a Comment