The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Back on the Streets

August 10, 2014

So, here I go again. I spent the day reading Dave Ramsey’s book Total Money Makeover and watching Youtube videos from Debt Free Squad as well as cleaning my bedroom and the bathroom.

I took the last few things to storage. I am shocked. Everything I own fits in storage except my bedding, food, computer, gym bag, and cleaning supplies. Those items fit in my trunk. I didn’t think it was possible. I had considered getting a second storage unit temporarily until I settle into my classroom, but it’s not necessary.

I also cooked some tofu and made a smoothie – trying to use up the last of the refrigerated food that I have before I leave Jasmine’s place. I’ve been thinking about how tomorrow’s routine will go – revisiting the gym for the first time in 2014, getting to work on time and dressed appropriately after changing clothes at the storage unit.

I didn’t think I would be as nervous about this as before, but I am. The same risks are there even though I’m more skilled at it this time around or at least I know what to expect. I still have the risks of getting caught sleeping in my car. I still have to live by the 3 rules – never be hungry, never be tired, never be dirty. I still have to be stealth and invisible. I still have to make it all count. I have to keep up the gazelle intensity and make sure I’m not sleeping in my car for nothing. The goals the first year were to pay down enough debt to not live paycheck to paycheck anymore – to have a little cushion. That’s done.

The goals now are to renovate parent’s home and to make these new financial habits solid. I don’t want to ever end up where I was before – at least not by my own fault. God can use financial hard times to cause us to grow and learn, to sharpen our character. However, sometimes we bring these times on ourselves and that’s what I did. I don’t want to do that again.


Wish me Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment