The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Friday, October 4, 2013

If you make plans, you don't have to make excuses.



I made a plan for today’s paycheck. I printed it out and posted it above my desk (with a cover sheet covered with stickers). At the end of this month, I will have another $1000 saved for the house renovation fund. Remember, last month’s extra $1000 established my emergency fund.

It feels good to know that ALL  of the money I get from any of my 1-3 jobs will go towards debt or savings (and of course a few bills, such as insurance, that are not going away). I teach a full-time day job, teach an evening adult class, and may get another 1/2 time position from my company in the mornings for an hour a day. 

Update on gas: 
I've done really well at not using a full tank of gas each week. My budget is $40 a week for gas, but since prices dropped ($3.29/gallon right now), I've been putting $35 a week in the tank. I still don't use the whole $35. Now, in October my church is having a series of special events that I really want to attend. I'm sure I'll go over the $40 limit each week. On the other hand, they are offering dinner each night. So what I overspend on gas will hopefully be made up for in the food budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment