The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Working From "Home" Today

November 9, 2014

This morning I went to the Dollar Tree and got boxes and organized the trunk. That trunk has been an embarrassing headache since I moved back into my car in August. I also got bungee cords and tied the foam mattress so I can roll it and keep it in the trunk during the day instead of in the backseat. That way, I won’t be embarrassed when people ask to ride with me and wonder what that thing is.

I’m proud of my time management today. I woke up and went right to work organizing. I have food in my trunk and I threw a few food items out. I bought some items that were on a shopping list and put them to use immediately (like put batteries in the flashlight immediately instead of later).  I found my car freshener in the trunk and finally looked at some flares that someone gave me so I could see how to use them. The car looks cleaner.

If I were in a an apartment this morning, I’d be watching the DVR or getting distracted by Internet headlines.

I didn't go to my school like I usually do on Sundays. It really seems to bother some people that I stay at work late or come in on weekends. The assistant principal asked that no one do schoolwork this weekend (part of the reason is because we had several reports due last week, but she seemed to glance at me when she said it so I take it personally). One of the security guards makes comments like “Are you coming back? I bet you will.” I guess they feel I don’t have a life and they feel bad about that, but if they only knew how much I could use the comfortable environment of my classroom on the weekends. 

Anyway, I decided not to go to the school this weekend. I brought enough schoolwork-based projects to work on this weekend without going to the school building. I’ll try to leave school earlier each day and just take projects with me, and if I go on Sundays just limit it to two hours. In fact, I may only go to do things like prepare lunches for the week. Spending less time at school is not caving in to pressure. It’s part of being stealth and not drawing attention to myself by coworkers.

Back to being organized...I simplified the way I organize my daily hygiene process. I have a large gym bag that I think draws attention to myself when I walk in the gym, but I’m only there for 45 minutes. Sometimes, I need to wash up at school, so I have to sort through the gym bag every time and take out just what I need. However, I realized that I have several drawstring bags, so I took one and put the basic essentials in it (deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, face wash, shower towel). Now I can take just that bag only into the gym or even into school and it draws no attention. I keep the larger gym bag in the car for when I need perfume, maxi pads, hair supplies – then I'll take that bag out.

No comments:

Post a Comment