The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Sleepless and Sweating

August 31, 2014

Yesterday evening,  I couldn’t get my car window to roll up. I’ve had trouble with this window before. By 11:00, my eyes could barely stay open, but I needed a place to sleep that had security. I needed to feel safe sleeping with one window all the way down, but not fear getting caught. If I went back to the hospitals, a security guard would notice the window and come over and take a look.

I went to a parking garage where I could park 2 hours for free. The plan was to set my car alarm, nap, and drive out after 2 hours. Then, I would turn right back around and come back in. However, there were so few cars parked in the garage that I couldn’t blend in. I was sure the security guard would notice me leaving and entering repeatedly because there were so few others there. So, I slept the first 2 hours and left. 

I drove away trying to figure out where else I could go. While driving, I drove past a Laundromat in a familiar neighborhood. It’s open 24 hours and there is a regular police presence in the area. People were coming and going. So, I parked there and slept in the front seat. I may have looked like someone who fell asleep while waiting for the laundry to get done.

I’m happy that this summer has been atypically cool and I didn’t have to worry about mosquitoes.

September 6, 2014

So, last night was the most miserable night I’ve tried to spend in my car. Even the weather forecasters described the weather as “brutal.” It’s hot and humid. I woke up drenched in sweat after an hour. I drove back to the Laundromat and went to sleep (still sweating, but not as much), with the windows cracked. In the morning, I drove to an above-ground garage, where the temperature was much cooler and there was actually a small breeze. I stayed there for half the day. Now, I'm at the library trying to keep cool and stay awake (since I didn't sleep comfortably). 


Storms are predicted for tonight. I can’t wait. They will bring a cold front with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment