The "Get Out Of Your Car!" Fund

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Updates on the car philosophy

So...update on my car philosophy.

The Honda officially cannot be driven on the highway anymore. I had left it down south with my mother, but I decided I prefer the Honda to the Mitsubishi so I would retrieve my Honda and sell the Mitsubishi.

I tried to drive it back up north at the beginning of August and it overheated for the 3rd time this summer. The mechanic told me it was a $2500 repair job. I was 5 hours from my hometown. With a combination of driving it carefully and below the speed limit plus getting it towed part of the way, I made it 5 hours back to my hometown and left it with my mother again. That's where it will stay.

I was trying to bring it back up north and sell the Mitsubishi. I thought I was correcting a mistake I had made. I should have waited to purchase another car until the Honda had officially died FIRST.

As soon as I got back up north (I had to fly back - expensive at the last minute!), and as soon as I got back in the Mitsubishi, I began to like it. Everyday I like it more. I think I like it now because I really NEED it, plus it has no payments.

Well, a week ago I was stuck after school for 3 hours due to a dead battery, then towed home because the mechanic could not jump start the battery. I was so done with the whole dead battery issue in this car.

I took the car to a dealership. They searched like looking for a needle in a haystack (their words) for 4 days and finally found the problem. That "problem mechanic" that I took the car to in January did not fully remove the after-market alarm system, causing some wires to stay live all the time and drain the battery constantly.

That's that. Other than needing new tires, the car runs well. The mechanic I used earlier this year has cost me about $600 in unnecessary repairs. Fortunately, the car emergency fund covered that. I'm past that now and looking forward to more debt snowballing.

No comments:

Post a Comment