5-18-14 Jefferson has developed a large lump on his abdomen. I noticed it last month when I visited for spring break, and now it's gotten much bigger quite fast. He is overweight from two years of me letting other people feed him (Uncle Theo when I lived with him, and now my sister's family since they are keeping him for me). I think he may be growing a tumor, but I don't want to take him to the vet because of money issues.
If it's a serious condition, it could take a lot of money that I don't have and won't have for a long time. It will be another debt. My parents need to move back into their house. I need to settle my condo issue, which I'm sure will take some money on my part. I need to pay back student loans. I need a new car. I have to pay for college courses to renew my teaching license and I have exactly 12 months to do it.
I need to decide this week what to do. The clock is ticking for Jefferson.
June 4, 2014
I asked my mom to take Jefferson to the vet, and the vet believes it's a benign tumor or a hernia.
He will have surgery (since it's not a malignant tumor, which I thought it might be), which will cost less than $400. I will go to Tennessee and bring him back with me so I can have company in the condo. We will also work on getting his weight back down to normal and healthy (his and mine, too).
This will be my 3rd trip to Tennessee in 3 months and it's getting to be expensive. I may have to call a moratorium on trips to Tennessee for 12 months. Each trip takes at least $400 for travel (car or plane). I manage the food and fun expenses better now that I'm in gazelle mode.